Tuesday, September 9, 2008

First day of class!

[btw. this is for my students who are enrolled at the Academy of Art University]

Alright! First day of class! Hopefully you guys and girls got a good overview of how this class works. I'm going to do whatever I can to give you what you need. Again, feel free to offer suggestions, feedback, critique, etc. Be pro-active!

Homework recap:
  • scan your school ID and email it to me
  • bouncing ball - yes, yes, get over it. It tells me a lot about each individual. Minimum requirement: heavy, medium and light ball, no textures, no set, just plain physics. But of course you can do more than that and I always encourage it. Show me the final polished version next week.
  • get acquainted with this site, how it's structured - a lot of the things you will hear this semester have already been covered in either my posts or someone else's, no harm in getting a head start
  • think about your goals for this semester, do a self assessment - what have I done, what do I need to do, what do I want to do, etc. I'm here for guidance of course, so if you have previous work, email it to me (as an attachment or a link) and we'll go through it and decide on an individual curriculum for this semester
As a rough guideline for your shots I would aim for this:

- first week: blocking
- second week: blocking plus
- third week: polish

Of course this can all change since you have the option of emailing me your progress during the week. I'll try my best to critique it in a timely fashion, but I can't promise it due to priorities with my family and my job. But if your blocking is done and approved, move on, no need to waste time. But try to give yourself deadlines. Of course I will torture you as well, but don't fall into the trap of spending 10 weeks on a shot.

That's it for now (I think).

I hope you guys will have fun and I'm looking forward to seeing your work!

Cheers
Jean-Denis

- pic source

No comments: