Sunday, September 29, 2013

Hyper Light Drifter Fan Animation

After seeing the Kickstarter for Hyper Light Drifter (and loving everything about it) I couldn't resist and had to animate something related to it.

This is my fan clip:


There's also a Vimeo link and the Quicktime file.

The main inspiration was this picture:


And I wanted to incorporate this set, which also has the spiders, and the little puff clouds when he runs, all seen here:


The flash speed run is also really neat, which I tried to replicate as closely as possible:


This is technically only the first half of what I wanted to do, but now I'm not sure if I will continue. As always, finding the time is tricky and I kinda like how it ends now. I started with the continuation, which you can see at the end of the last shot:


Regarding the music, the Kickstarter says that Disasterpeace will be doing the music for it so I was trying to find a track of his that would fit tempo wise. The track I chose is "Prologue" from "Rise of the Obsidian Interstellar".

Other than, the Drifter is a modified Norman, the spiders are modified Spiderbots.

Animation was all done in Maya, using one day for modding and planing and one day for animation.

I think that's about it!

[added]

Regarding the cape: it's a separate piece of geometry that I skinned to a few joints and the movement is keyframed:


The skirt is another separate piece of geometry that I wrapped deformed around the thighs.

As for a playblast, it's what you see in the above animated gif. The lamberts are set with incandescence all the way up. 

10 comments:

Mohammad Sadeh said...

Amazing Job JD as usual! are the cloth and the cape is a cloth simulation? if you can post the playblast from Maya to your site it will be great :) Thanks!

Matt Maners said...

I have been keeping my eye on this game, it really has great art direction. As for your take on it, well it's awesome. Why can't games look like their concept art? You did a fine job of pulling it off in only one day so why can't large studios do it?

Jean-Denis Haas said...

Thanks! :)

Jean-Denis Haas said...

And no, the cape is just geometry with joints. I'll post a breakdown of the rig tomorrow night (Tuesday).

Jean-Denis Haas said...

Added pic of cape.

Mohammad Sadeh said...

Thanks for the update! your work is always inspiring :)

Anonymous said...

Fantastic! Excuse my lazyness, I haven't read the whole Kickstarter page, but where are the rigs from are did you also setup the whole scene yourself!?

Jean-Denis Haas said...

The rigs are free online (I linked to them in the post) which I then modified to match the game and artwork. I made the set out of simple cubes to save time. :)

Romit Dodhia said...

Very cool JD! I actually thought it was cloth sim haha! I don't know much about the game but I like this style!

Jean-Denis Haas said...

Thanks! :)